Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Discussion about Healthy Lifestyle

TOPIC: Vegetable Oil and Cholesterol.

Vegetable Oil and Cholesterol. 3 months 3 weeks ago #188

• admin
  • Administrator
Are “Cholesterol Free” Oil as advertised are really Cholesterol Free?
Are these so called and advertised, as “Cholesterol Free” oils are better than other vegetable oils?

In order to answer these questions, I decided that I should research further and I decided to test the Cholesterol levels of these oils in my Lab.
I use 3 types of vegetable oils at home: Sunflower Oil with a BOLD “Cholesterol Free” label on it, Olive Oil and Mustard Oil.

I brought small quantity of these oils to my Lab and told them to do Lipid Profile (Cholesterol Profile) on these oils.

After sometime Lab Incharge came and told me that we could measure only Triglycerides (one of the Bad Cholesterols) in our Lab, and other chemical reagents for Total Cholesterol and HDL Cholesterol (Good Cholesterol) cannot be mixed with the oil for testing in our Medical Lab.

Result of The Triglycerides content of these Oils are:
1. Sun Flower Oil with “Cholesterol Free” label contains: 790 mg/liter
2. Olive Oil: 140 mg/liter
3. Mustard Oil: 530 mg/liter

Conclusion:
1. There is no such thing as “Cholesterol Free” vegetable oils as advertised.
2. The Sunflower oil that is been promoted as “Cholesterol Free” actually contains the most amount of Bad Cholesterol – Triglycerides (6 times more than Olive Oil and twice more than Mustard Oil).
3. Olive Oil seems to be best for the Heart as it contains very less Triglycerides – 140 mg/liter and Mustard Oil seems to be two times healthier than Sunflower Oil.
4. All the remaining Fat in all these oils are Unsaturated Fat, which is a good Cholesterol and prevents the clogging of our blood vessels and protects from heart attacks and stroke.
5. All Vegetable oils are healthier than Animal oils like Ghee and butter.
6. Cholesterols are also necessary for our body to transport vitamins and to produce different hormones in our body, thus it is better to know your Cholesterol levels (Good and Bad) that will be a helpful guide to your diet.

Please share and spread the awareness, that Cholesterol Free Oils as advertised contains the most amount of Triglycerides, than other Vegetable oils like Mustard oil and Olive oil.

By: Dr. Denis Shrestha MD
Consultant Cardiologist.
Managing Director
Advanced Polyclinic.
Last Edit: 3 months 3 weeks ago by admin.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Time to create page: 0.150 seconds

Advanced Polyclinic

Kathmandu Clinic:
Pani Pokhari/Lazimpat (opposite to Japanese Embassy)
TeL:(977-1) 4431078, 4443386

Pokhara Clinic:
S&S Complex, New Road (100 meters North from City Hall)
Tel: (061) 522984, 522985

News & Events

Find us in Facebook

JoomShaper